-- Coconut Paste
Mustard seed blk
Chilis, dry (2)
Coconut grated (3)
Oil for fry
|Prep - (30 min)
Run - (45 min)
- Cut FISH into pieces about 1-1/2 inch on a side by whatever
thickness your fish is. Tumble the pieces with Lemon Juice and
set aside for 1/2 hour or so.
- Cut ONION in quarters lengthwise and slice thin crosswise.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold
water, peel and chop small.
- Put all Coconut Paste items except Coconut in
a small pan and fry stirring over moderate heat until chilis darken
and mustard seeds are popping - do not burn the chilis! Cool
- Grate COCONUT and chop as fine as you can get it. Pound it
in a mortar, then mix with Coconut Paste items and pound to
paste - or use whatever means you have available.
- Prep TAMARIND if using block form (see Note-3).
- Chop CILANTRO medium for recipe (or use Curry Leaves, see
Note-5). Pull CILANTRO leaves from stems
- In a kadhai, wok or iron skillet,
heat sufficient Oil to 375°F/190°C and fry fish lightly.
Do a few pieces at a time so they fry quickly and aren't crowded. Drain
and set aside (can be done in advance).
- In a spacious sauté pan heat 1-1/2 T Oil (you can use
fish fry oil) and fry Onions until lightly browned. Stir in
Tomatoes and Turmeric and fry stirring until tomatoes
are quite soft.
- Stir in Tamarind and 2/3 c Water. Bring to a boil and
simmer another 5 minutes.
- Stir in Coconut Paste and Salt. Simmer another 10
minutes, stirring occasionally and adjusting water as needed. It
should not be too dry.
- Stir in Cilantro (or Curry Leaves), then gently stir in
Fish. Simmer until fish is done, about 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with Cilantro leaves and along with plenty
of steamed Basmati or Jasmine rice.