Oil for frying
Olives green (3)
Vinegar, red wine
Prep (20 min)
Run (1-1/4 hrs)
- Cut up your RABBIT into serving pieces. Don't waste all that
unrecoverable meat on the carcass, use the bony parts to make soup
- Peel POTATOES and cut into cubes about 1 inch on a side. Hold
in cold water until needed.
- Dice CELERY small. Pit OLIVES and cut in half. Drain
- Cap and seed BELL PEPPERS (Red or Green or both). Cut into
short strips about 1/2 inch wide.
- Crush GARLIC lightly.
- Drain TOMATOES, reserving the juice.
- In an iron skillet heat Oil to 375°F/190°C and
fry Rabbit pieces, turning frequently until lightly browned on
all sides. Fry in small batches so the oil stays very hot, that
way the outside will brown before the pieces loose too much moisture.
Set aside. See Note-4 for option.
- In a spacious sauté pan heat 1/4 c Olive Oil (Pure
or Extra V) over moderate heat and fry Garlic until aromatic,
then stir in Tomatoes and fry stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in Celery mix and fry stirring often for about 5
- Stir in Potatoes and Bell Peppers until well mixed in.
Fry, stirring now and then, for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in Rabbit and then Vinegar. Fry over higher
heat until vinegar is pretty much evaporated, then stir in
Stock, Tomato Juice, Salt and Pepper.
Simmer covered for 30 minutes or until rabbit and potatoes are
tender, adding more stock if needed to keep it from drying out.
- Check salt and seasoning. Serve warm.