Onions, tiny (2)
-- Sauce mix
Crushed Tomatoes (3)
Wine Vinegar, red
Olive Oil, pure
Prep - (25 min)
Run - (2 to 2-1/2 hrs)
- Cut BEEF into cubes about 1-1/4 inches on a side.
- Chop ONION fine. Crush GARLIC. Mix.
- Bring plenty of water to a boil. Pour in BOILING ONIONS
and stir them around for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes depending on size.
Drain and chill with cold water. Cut off the tip and peel. Trim the
root ends as little as you can so the onions hold together. All this
can be done while the Beef is simmering, or a couple of days ahead
- Mix all Sauce items.
- In a 3-1/2 quart sauté pan heat Olive Oil and fry
Beef over highest heat until all exuded liquid has
evaporated and the meat is lightly browned on all sides. Take
care the fond stuck to the bottom of the pan doesn't burn.
- Remove Beef, leaving as much oil as possible behind.
- Stir in Onion mix and fry over moderate heat until onions
- Stir in Sauce mix and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat
scraping up the fond from the bottom of the pan until it is all
incorporated into the sauce.
- Stir Beef back in and bring to a boil. Simmer covered over
very low heat (see Note-4) for 1 to 1-1/4 hours
depending on cut.
- Stir in Boiling Onions and Currants. Bring back to
a simmer for another 1 to 1-1/2 hours depending on cut. Finish
simmering uncovered to thicken sauce as desired (see
- Serve with Potatoes or Pasta (see Note-5).