Mussel meat (1)
Bell Pepper green
Tomato Purée (2)
Olive Oil ExtV
-- For 1 # Pasta
Prep - (23 min)
Run - (55 min)
- Dice the MUSSELS about 3/8 inch on a side. (most frozen
mussels are just too big to use whole).
- Chop ONION fine. Dice BELL PEPPER small. Crush
GARLIC and chop very fine. Mix all.
- Chop BASIL fine and mix with TOMATO PURÉe
- Chop PARSLEY for garnish.
- In a spacious sauté pan Heat OLIVE OIL and stir in
Onion mix. Fry stirring over moderate heat until onions
threaten to show color.
- Stir in Mussels and fry stirring a couple of minutes, then
stir in Tomato mix. Cover and simmer on low heat stirring
occasionally for about 40 minutes (it takes that long for the mussels
to be tender). Add boiling water if it threatens to get too dry or
you will lose the fresh tomato flavor.
- Adjust consistency (add water or simmer uncovered) if needed and
season to taste with Salt and Pepper.
- Cook Pasta the usual way. When al dente drain,
return to the pot and stir in Olive Oil and a sprinkle of
- Serve warm over warm pasta in individual bowls as shown in photo -
or Italian style, just all mixed together, but don't over-sauce.
Garnish with Parsley.