Wine, dry white
Peppercorns, green (3)
Tomatoes, ripe (4)
Olive Oil, ExtV
Prep - (1-1/4 hour - 25 min work)
Run - (45 min)
- Cut off the stem and flower end of the unpeeled EGGPLANTS.
Slice them crosswise 1/2 inch thick. Rub the slices on both sides
with salt and keep in a bowl for 45 minutes to an hour, tumbling
now and then (see Note-5).
- Rinse Eggplant slices in warm water until they no longer
taste salty. Pat them dry and cut into dice about 1/2 inch on a
side depending on the texture you want.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, chill in cold
water and peel. Chop fairly fine.
- Crush GARLIC and chop very fine.
- Grind Green Peppercorns.
- Grate CHEESE for garnish.
- Tear BASIL into shreds. Hold in cold water until needed.
- Melt Butter for the Pasta, 2 T for 1 pound pasta.
- In a coverable sauté pan, heat Butter and stir in
Eggplant. Turn heat to low, cover tightly and simmer slowly
for about 20 minutes. Stir every so often.
- Add Wine and simmer until mostly evaporated, then stir in
Green Peppercorns. Set aside.
- Meanwhile: In a sauté or sauce pan large enough for
the whole recipe, heat Olive Oil over moderate heat. Stir
in Garlic and fry stirring just until softened, no browning.
- Stir in the Tomatoes and cook stirring over moderate heat
until most liquid has evaporated. Don't cook too dry, though, or the
fresh taste of the tomatoes will be lost. If using canned tomatoes,
you'll need to simmer longer to reduce the liquid.
- Combine Eggplant with Tomatoes. Season to taste with
- Just before serving, drain the Basil and stir in.
- Cook Pasta the usual way. When done al dente, drain,
return to the pot and tumble with the Melted Butter.
- Serve warm over warm pasta, garnished with Parmesan Cheese
and more on the side (see Note-6).