Parmesan fresh grated
- Snap tough base ends off from Asparagus. Cut each into three
sections, keeping the sections separate. First cut 2 inches of the tip,
then the next two inches. Finally another 2 inches. You may have
some random end pieces left over - combine them with the third
- Bring plenty of Water to a rapid boil over high heat. Put the
Asparagus base group into the water and cook for 1-1/2 minutes.
Then put in the center group and cook another 1 minute. Finally put
in the tips and cook until just tender, about 4 minutes depending on
thickness. Drain, refresh in cold water, drain again and hold until
- Grate PARMESAN very fine and mix thoroughly with
MASCARPONE and Pepper.
- Check HAZLENUTS for rancidity. Roast them (if not already
roasted) and crush coarsely, chop CHIVES medium, shave
PARMESAN (use a vegetable peeler) and cut shavings diagonally if
large. Mix all for use as a topping.
- Set out your strainer for the pasta. Place a heat proof cup under
the strainer so you won't forget to reserve some pasta water.
- Bring plenty of salted water to a boil and cook your Pasta the
usual way until just "al dente".
- Stir in the Asparagus just long enough to warm it up well, then
pour the pasta into the strainer, catching at least 1/2 cup of the pasta
- Return Pasta to the pot and stir in just a tad of Olive Oil to
keep it from sticking. Stir in the Cheese mix and just enough of
the reserved pasta water to make it of a sauce consistency.
- Portion pasta out onto individual plates and garnish with a dollop of
the Hazelnut topping.