Black Beans (1)
Epazote, fresh (3)
Chili Habanero (4)
Prep - (8+ hrs - 5 min work)
Run - (2-1/4 hrs)
- Place BEANS in a big jar with 1/2 T Salt and water sufficient
to re-hydrate the beans. Let sit in a warm place overnight.
- Drain and rinse Beans. Place in a sauce pan and pour in
water to cover by 1/2 inch or so. If they have been well soaked they
won't absorb much more. Bring to a boil uncovered (to eliminate
foaming over), turn down to a slow simmer, cover tightly and simmer
- Peel ONION, leaving root end intact. Slice lengthwise into
several wedges, making sure each wedge has some of the root end to
hold it together.
- Crush GARLIC and chop small.
- Chop EPAZOTE quite small, or see Note-3.
- Blast HABANERO black with your propane torch. Brush off
skin under running water. Remove stem and chop small.
- When Beans have simmered an hour, stir in all
Flavoring items Check water. Bring
back to a boil and simmer tightly covered for another 1 hour.
- Drain Water but retain it. Remove Onions as best you
can. Crush beans to a paste, to whatever smoothness you prefer,
adding back just enough of the water to get the consistency you
desire. The photo example is crushed moderately and made quite