Calve's Foot (1)
Chilis Anchos (3)
Chili Poblano (3)
- Have the butcher cut the CALVE'S FOOT into 4 pieces. If it's
a 4 pounder like my local store carries have it split lengthwise then
each half into four pieces. Freeze what you don't need for inclusion
in future soup stocks.
- Boil TRIPE in water to cover with 1 t Salt and a
couple of Lemon slices for about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse.
Cut into 3/4 inch squares.
- Cut ONION into cubes about 1/2 inch. Peel GARLIC and
crush lightly. Mix.
- Break up CHILIS ANCHOS discarding stems and seeds. Grind
- Blacken CHILI POBLANO with your propane torch and wipe the
skin off under running water. Cut into short strips.
- In a pot bring 4 quarts of Water to a boil and add
Calve's Foot. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add Tripe, Onion, Poblano, ground Ancho,
Garlic cloves and Salt. Simmer for another hour.
- Fish out the Calve's Foot and strip off all flesh discarding
the bones. Cut the flesh into 3/4" chunks and return to the pot.
- Drain HOMINY and add to the pot. Simmer slowly another
- Check water level. Season with Salt and Oregano.
- Chop the Condiments fairly small except the Limes which
should be cut into wedges. Set out the condiments in separate bowls to
be added to individual taste.
- Serve hot with hot tortillas and the cold condiments.