Chicken cooked (1)
Chilis Serrano (3)
Crema Mexicana (4)
Crema Mexicana (4)
Queso Fresco (5)
Oil 1/4" deep (6)
Prep - (40 min)
Run - (40 minutes)
- Shred CHICKEN (or Turkey) fine and mix with Salt.
- Roughly chop TOMATILLOS, SERRANOS, CILANTRO and
GARLIC. Run fairly smooth in a food processor along with
Salt and Milk,
- Heat 2 T Oil and cook Sauce mix over fairly high heat
for about 5 minutes. At this point I usually return the sauce to the
food processor, run it smoother, then return to a simmer in the pan.
Remove from heat and stir in Crema Mexicana. Keep warm in a
container sufficiently low and wide so you can dip the tortillas
through the sauce.
- Chop ONION fine for garnish.
- Mix just enough Milk in with the 1/2 c Crema Mexicana
that it is pourable but not too runny.
- Crumble CHEESE for garnish.
- Warm serving dish or a set of individual serving dishes.
- Prepare tortillas:
- Traditional: Heat Oil in a skillet (well
below smoking or the edges of the tortillas will become brittle) and
fry Tortillas one at a time on both sides just briefly, about
15 seconds per side (they must remain completely flexible) and drain
on paper towels. Keep warm.
- Current: Set up a steamer with 1/2 inch water in the
bottom and bring to a boil. Wrap the tortillas in a heavy kitchen
towel and place in the steamer. Cover tightly and boil 1 minute,
then turn off the heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Using tongs, dip a Tortilla through the sauce to coat both
sides. Set on a warm plate, fill with some of the Shredded Chicken,
roll up and place in the serving dish or on individual plates. Repeat.
- If you need to hold them a bit or they have cooled, this is the point
at which you can reheat them.
- Check that the remaining Sauce is pourable, dilute a bit with
chicken broth if not. Re-heat sauce and pour over tortillas. Next pour
over the Crema Mexicana mix, then sprinkle with Onions
and crumbled Cheese.
- Serve immediately