Chicken Meat (1)
Oregano, dried (2)
Chilis Xcatic (5)
Prep - (25 min)
Run - (1-1/4 hr)
- Make Recado of choice (see Note-3) if not
- Cut Chicken into pieces about 2 inch on a side, or as
you prefer, but not too small.
- Grind DRY SPICES to powder. Crush GARLIC and chop
fine. Mix with 2 T Recado.
- Cut ONIONS in quarters lengthwise and slice thin crosswise.
Cap and seed the CHILIS. Cut into narrow strips about 1-1/2
inches long. Mix and set aside for garnish.
- Place Chicken in a saucepan with 2 c Stock and 3 c
Water. Bring to a boil and skim off any crud that rises to
the top as it begins to boil.
- Stir in Spicing mix. Simmer for about 25 minutes or until
Chicken is tender, but it must still be firm enough for frying.
- Fish out Chicken and drain reserving Broth. Strain
the broth and set aside.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of the Recado. Rub the rest on the
Chicken, then dust very lightly with Flour.
- Into a saucepan, pour 4 c of the reserved Broth. Stir in
the reserved 1 T of the Recado, the Vinegar and
Salt. Bring to a boil briefly and keep hot.
- In a spacious sauté pan, heat Oil and fry
Chicken, tumbling frequently until lightly browned all over.
Caution: if it's in smallish chunks, don't look for much browning
or you'll get tough dried strings of chicken. Remove Chicken from
the oil and drain. Keep warm.
- To Serve: put some of the Onion mix in individual bowls,
top with Chicken and pour over enough Broth to half
cover the chicken. Serve immediately. For buffet service see