-- Diced mix
Bell Pepper, grn
-- Sliced mix
Olive Oil, pure
Olive Oil, ExtV
Prep - (1 hr)
Run - (3 hrs)
- Cut BEEF into cubes about 2/3 to 1 inch on a side.
- Chop ONION fine.
- Dice all Diced mix items, from fine to chunky depending on
- Trim OKRA caps into a cone, avoiding cutting into the
inside. Mix with vinegar and let soak 20 minutes or more, tumbling
now and then (this keeps them from splitting during cooking). Rinse
well and drain.
- Scald TOMATOES in boiling water one minute, quench in
cold water and peel. Cut into quarters lengthwise and into 1/2 inch
- Tip and tail GREEN BEANS and cut in half crosswise, thirds
if really long.
- Break CAULIFLOWER into moderate size florets.
- Slice EGGPLANTabout 3/8 inch thick or as needed (see
Note-2). Hold until needed in cold water acidulated
with a bit of Citric Acid or Lemon Juice.
- Slice ZUCCHINI about 3/8 inch thick (see
Note-3). Hold in the same water as Eggplant.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into about 1 inch cubes. Hold in
cold, but not acidulated water (acid hardens potatoes).
- in a 3-1/2 quart sauté pan heat Olive Oil and fry
Beef over highest heat until all exuded liquid has
evaporated and the meat is lightly browned on all sides. Take
care the fond stuck to the bottom of the pan doesn't burn.
- Stir in Onions and Paprika. continue frying over
declining heat until onions are starting to color.
- Stir in 1/2 c Water, cover tightly and simmer, stirring now
and then, until beef is not quite tender, about 30 minutes, depending
- Drain all Sliced mix items and mix with all Diced mix
items, Salt, Pepper and 3 T Olive Oil.
- Cooking: (see also Note-5).
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Butter a casserole sufficient to hold the recipe.
- Layer half the Vegetables on the bottom, and layer the
meat over, then the other half of the vegetables on top.
- Pour over 1/2 cup Water
- Cover the casserole (lid or foil) and place in the oven.
Bake for about 2 hours (do not stir - but shake the casserole
now and then to discourage sticking) or until the vegetables are
fully cooked. Test by sampling a chunk of Potato. Add a little
boiled water if it gets too dry. Take the lid off for the last
15 minutes to brown the tops of the vegetables.
- Serve moderately hot.
- Butter the inside of a 4 quart slow cooker crock.
- Layer half the vegetables in the slow cooker. Layer the meat
over and the rest of the vegetables on top.
- Pour over 1/2 cup boiling Water.
- Cook on High setting until the vegetables are done, 2 to 2-1/2
hours. This can be tested by trying a chunk of potato.
- Serve moderately hot.