Click to Enlarge
Chicken Soup with Dumplings
Estonia - Kana-Klimbisupp
This soup is very popular in Estonia, with many minor variations,
particularly in the vegetables. Today, potatoes are often used in place
of the rutabaga. This soup reheats well, but if making in advance, add
the peas in the last minutes before serving or they lose their bright
Chicken meat (1)
Milk or Stock
Prep - (1-1/2 hrs - 30 min work (exclusive of
making Chicken Stock))
Dumpling Batter - (20 min)
- Simmer CHICKEN in Chicken Stock until tender, about
40 minutes. Let cool (in the stock if you have time). When cool,
remove from stock and pull into shreds short enough to fit in a
- Peel RUTABAGA and CARROTS. Cut into dice about 1/4
inch on a side. Mix.
- Chop PARSLEY fine for Garnish (Dill is sometimes used).
Run - (45 min)
- In a smaller bowl, beat EGG well. Soften Butter and
beat well into the Egg. Mix in Milk or Stock until
smooth. You'll need to warm these items up if they came out of the
- Dry pan toast CARAWAY SEEDS until fragrant and darkening
only a shade. Pour onto a plate and let cool, then grind in your
- In a large mixing bowl, mix Flour, ground Caraway,
Sugar and Salt.
- Gradually stir Egg mix into the Flour mix until you
have a uniform batter. Cover and set aside while making the soup.
- Pour 6 c Chicken Stock into a 4 quart pot and bring to a
boil. Stir in Rutabaga mix, bring back to a boil and simmer
until carrots are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Stir in shredded Chicken, Salt and Pepper.
Bring back to a simmer.
- Turn the heat up a bit. Using a regular teaspoon, scoop up
spoons of Dumpling Batter and push them off into the Soup -
however many you want. Bring the Soup back to a simmer. It is done
a few minutes after the dumplings float to the surface.
- Stir in Frozen Peas. Bring back to a simmer.
- Serve hot garnished with Parsley.
- Chicken: This weight is for raw
skinless boneless chicken meat. After simmering it will be about
11 ounces. For details see our
- Flour: All Purpose flour will work
- U.S. measure: t=teaspoon,
T=Tablespoon, c=cup, qt=quart, oz=ounce,
#=pound, cl=clove in=inch, ar=as required
voc_chkdmp1* 160526 ell35 - www.clovegarden.com
©Andrew Grygus - email@example.com - Linking to and
non-commercial use of this page is permitted.