Apple Juice (4)
-- Serve With
Potatoes or (5)
Prep - (1 hr)
RUN - (4-1/2 hrs)
- Pit PRUNES if necessary. Cut in half crosswise and soak in
cool water until needed.
- Clean HEARTS and cut into strips no more than 1/4 inch thick
and about 1-1/2 inch long by 1/2 inch wide, or however it works out.
- Chop ONIONS medium.
- Peel APPLES and cut into about 3/4 inch chunks.
- In a sauté pan large enough for the whole recipe (it will
just fit in a 3-1/2 quart - if you are careful), melt
2 T Butter. When it stops foaming and starts to color, stir in
the Onions, Coriander and Thyme. Fry
stirring until the Onions threaten to color. Remove all from the pan,
leaving as much butter as you can, and set aside.
- Add 1 T Butter and fry 1/3 Hearts in the butter
until lightly browned, then set aside, leaving the butter. Repeat
for the other two thirds, adding 1 T Butter for each batch.
- Return all Hearts to the pan. Stir in Vinegar and
fry stirring until almost dry.
- Stir in Onions, Apples, Apple Juice and
Water, Salt and Pepper. Cover and simmer until
meat is very tender, 4 hours or more. The liquid should be reduced to
a light sauce consistency (the Apple chunks should have disappeared
- Drain the Prunes. Stir them in along with Cream
and Soy Sauce. Taste - if too tart (unlikely), stir in more
- Serve hot with Potatoes or other root vegetables, mashed or
prepared as you like.