-- Serve with
Make - (1-1/2 hr - 1 hr work)
See Photo Gallery for
- Core CABBAGES. It is very important to remove the core
completely so boiling water can get at the stem ends of the leaves,
and for ease of stripping off the leaves.
- Bring plenty of water to a boil in a pot tall enough to completely
submerge a Cabbage. Lower one of the Cabbages in (Carefully -
see Note-4) and hold it down with a wooden
spoon in the core hole for about 5 minutes. Swish it around a bit,
and when the outer two leaves start to drift away, it's ready. With
the burner still on high, hold the Cabbage steady with the
wooden spoon. Take tongs and start peeling away the outermost leaves.
Hold each by the stem, gently shaking it loose and lifting it out.
Peel until the leaves are getting too small to stuff. Lift out the
remaining cabbage and set it aside. Now do the other Cabbage. Keep
small and torn leaves and some of the water for cooking.
- Place each softened cabbage leaf outside up on your cutting board and
shave the thick central rib thinner to make the leaf more flexible (see
- Grind BEEF, if not purchased ground. It should be ground
quite fine, perhaps two or three times in a home meat grinder.
- Pour MILK over bread and mix in Spices. Mix until
smooth (I run the bread with half the milk in a min-prep processor).
Massage into BEEF until very evenly distributed.
- Place each leaf inside up, and place a gob of stuffing (be generous,
this isn't hors d'oeuvres) near the stem end. Give it one turn, Fold
the sides in and roll up. Keep chilled until ready to cook.
- Make the SAUCE: (you can do this while the rolls are
cooking). Bring Stock to a simmer. In a bowl, mix cold
Water and Flour until evenly mixed. Whip in simmering
stock, a little at a time until the mix is nice and smooth, and too
loose to form lumps. Whip it into the Stock until evenly distributed.
Simmer for about 7 minutes, then stir in all the remaining
- Line the bottom of your chosen cooking vessel with the small or
torn cabbage leaves. Proceed appropriately as described in
Note-3, placing the Cabbage Rolls flap side
- With Tongs, move the Cabbage Rolls to your serving dish and
pour the Sauce over. Serve hot with boiled Potatoes.