Potatoes, red (1)
Make - (35 min)
- Peel POTATOES and cook in boiling water until just done.
This is when a sharp skewer will go through the center of the
largest one without hitting a hard spot.
- Cool Potatoes thoroughly, then cut into 1/4 inch slices
with a very thin sharp knife.
- Core APPLES, cut lengthwise into quarters (or 6ths if
larger, or according to your preference) and slice fairly thin. Hold
in cold water acidulated with Citric Acid or Lemon Juice until needed.
- Drain oil from SARDINES. Split them open and pull out the
backbone (yes, it's a great source of calcium, but some people are
put off by the crunchiness). Break them into pieces about 1/2 inch
long. Optionally, the sardines can be left whole and served as a
- Make Dressing: Grate LEMON for zest, then squeeze
for juice. Slice SCALLIONS thin, white and green parts.
Chop DILL fine. Mix all Dressing items in a
- Place Apples in the bottom of an oversized mixing bowl.
Layer Potatoes over, then Sardines. Shake up jar of
Dressing to blend well, then pour over the top. Gently
toss the salad until well distributed. Having the Apple slices on
the bottom makes it easy to scoop under then and lift everything
without breaking the potatoes when you start to toss.
- Let rest in the fridge for a few hours if you have time. Serve
cool, garnished with Dill Sprigs and Lemon Wedges.