- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into thin strips or grate coarse. I
use a julienning vegetable peeler and just peel them into thin strips.
Keep in cold water until needed to prevent browning
- Split ONIONS in half lengthwise and slice very thin
crosswise. Fry stirring in a little oil until just wilted (no
browning). Some recipes call for this, others just use the onions raw.
- Lift SPRATS from the can (keeping the liquid) and cut crosswise
into pieces about 1/2 inch long.
- Butter a 7 by 11 inch baking dish well. Layer in 1/3 of the
Potatoes, then spread half the Onions and dot with half
the Sprat pieces. Follow with another third of the potatoes,
and the rest of the Onions. Dot with the rest of the Sprats, then top
with the last third of the Potatoes.
- Pour about 1/2 the Sprat liquid around over the potatoes, then
dot the top with Butter. Finally pour in 1/2 the Cream.
Note that some recipes call for bread crumbs over the top for more
browning, but I have very authentic recipes that do not.
- Slip into the oven and bake for about 45 minutes. Pull and pour the
rest of the cream over (being careful not to pour cold cream against
hot glass). Put back into the oven for another 20 minutes.