Eggs, hard cooked
-- Accompany with
Sour Cream (opt)
Prep - (45 min)
- Hard cook EGGS for garnish (if using - they are traditional).
See our method Boiling Eggs
for best results, but even so, start a couple extras in case some
have invisible cracks and blow out. Shell them and cool thoroughly.
- Make the STOCK if using (plain water can be used, see
Run - (45 min)
- Scald TOMATOES in boiling water 1 minute. Quench in cold
water, peel and cut into about 1/2 inch chunks.
- Float wash NETTLES as you would Spinach. Bring plenty of
Water to a boil and stir in Nettles for 1 Minute. Drain and
refresh under cold running water.
- Chop Nettles, leaves and tender stems fairly small. Discard
fibrous stems, ones that don't break cleanly.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into about 3/4 inch cubes. Hold in
cold water until needed.
- Chop DILL and SORREL fairly small. Cut Scallions
into about 1/2 inch lengths. Mix all.
- Drain Potatoes and place in a 3-1/2 quart or larger pot along
with Stock. Bring to a boil and simmer covered about 12 minutes.
- Stir in Tomatoes and Nettles. Bring back to a boil and
simmer covered until Potatoes are cooked through (about another 12
- Stir in Sorrel mix, Salt and Pepper. Bring back
to a simmer.
- Cut Eggs in half lengthwise.
- Serve hot, each bowl garnished with 1/2 an egg, yolk side up.
Serve Sour Cream on the side, if using.