-- Vegetables #1
-- Vegetables #2
-- Serve with
Sour Cream (opt)
Prep - (1 hr work - but see
Run - (1-1/3 hrs)
- If using dried MUSHROOMS soak and simmer as described in
- For Dried Mushrooms, drain, reserving soaking liquid. Chop
fairly small and return to soaking liquid. For Fresh Mushrooms,
slice about 1/8 inch thick.
- Peel CARROTS and slice them about 1/4 inch thick. Peel
PARSNIPS. Slice the thick part in half lengthwise, and the
really thick part in quarters, then slice crosswise about 1/4 inch
- Prepare LEEKS. Chop small, white and light green. Mix with
- Chop CELERY small. Mix with Carrots.
- Core CABBAGE and shred fairly fine.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water. Quench in cold
water, peel and cut into 3/4 inch pieces. Mix with Cabbage.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes. Hold in
cold water until needed.
- Peel BEETS. Cut in half lengthwise, then slice crosswise about
1/4 inch thick and into sticks about 1/4 inch wide - or as desired.
- Chop ONION medium.
- Squeeze LEMON JUICE. Crush GARLIC and chop fine. Chop
DILL small. Mix all.
- Into an adequate pot, place Vegetables #1 mix and 4 cups
Water. If using Dried Mushrooms, strain out the soaking liquid
and add it to the pot, reserving the mushrooms. Bring to a boil and
simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile: In a sauté pan, heat 1 T Oil and fry
sliced Mushrooms (fresh or dried) stirring for about 5 minutes
or until fresh mushrooms start to give up their water. Remove with a
slotted spoon and add to the pot.
- Add 1 T Oil to the pan and fry Onions until golden.
Remove with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil behind, and set aside.
Stir the Beets into the oil and fry stirring constantly until
they are coated with oil and glossy. Remove from the oil with a
slotted spoon and set aside.
- After 30 minutes, Stir Beets into the pot. Drain
Potatoes and stir into the pot along with Vegetables
#2 mix and Tomato Paste. Bring to a boil and simmer another
- After 45 minutes, stir in Onions and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Stir in Finish mix and take off the heat.
- Serve hot. You can provide Sour Cream on the side for any
who want it, but for Eastern Orthodox, it is not allowed between
Cheesefare Sunday and Pascha.