Beef Stock (1)
Beef Kidneys (2)
Celery & leaves
-- Serve with
Sour Cream (opt)
Prep - (40 min)
Run - (1-1/4 hrs)
- Make the BEEF STOCK if you don't have it on hand.
- From BEEF KIDNEYS remove all membranes and any obvious plumbing.
trim off as much of the fat as you can.
- Put Kidneys in a pot and cover with plenty of cold water. On high
heat bring to a rolling boil (uncover before it boils or it'll foam over).
Pour out the water, rinse the kidneys and clean all the scum out of the
- Cover the Kidneys with fresh cold water and bring to a boil
again, and again drain, rinse, and clean the pot.
- Put the Kidneys back in the pot with a third change of cold water,
just enough to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Reserve 2 cups of the kidney cooking water. Drain Kidneys and dice
into about 3/8 inch cubes.
- Chop ONION medium, chop CELERY medium, dice TURNIP
about 1/2 inch. Mix all.
- Dice TOMATOES about 1/2 inch.
- Peel POTATOES, cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Hold in cold water until
- Crush GARLIC and chop fine. Chop PICKLES and PARSLEY
- Chop DILL and PARSLEY for garnish.
- Into an adequate pot, pour Beef Stock, reserved Kidney Water
and Kidneys. Bring to a simmer.
- In a sauté pan heat 2 T Butter and fry Onion mix,
stirring over moderate heat until onions are light golden. Stir in
Tomatoes, Tomato Paste and Bay Leaf. Fry stirring
until Tomatoes are soft. Add all to the pot and simmer for about 1/2 hour.
- Drain Potatoes and add to pot along with Pickle Juice.
Bring to a boil and season to taste with Salt and Pepper.
Continue simmering for 20 minutes or so until the potatoes are thoroughly
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped Dill and Parsley. Serve
Sour Cream on the side for any who want it.