Beef Stock (1)
Beef Kidney (2)
Dill Pickles (5)
Prep - (45 min - excluding making Beef Stock)
Run - (1 hr)
- Make the BEEF STOCK if you don't have it on hand.
- Slice KIDNEY about 3/8 inch thick. Trim off all fat, membranes
and plumbing. Cut into largish bite size pieces.
- Dice HAM and FRANKFURTER about 3/8 inch or however
you like. Mix.
- Chop ONIONS small.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold
water, peel and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into about 1/2 inch cubes. Put them
in a pan of cold water, bring to a boil and simmer until almost cooked
through. Drain and add to Tomatoes. This pre-cook helps keep the broth
- Cut PICKLES into matchsticks about 1 inch long. Drain
CAPERS. Pit OLIVES if needed and slice. Mix all with
- Drain MUSHROOMS. Cut in half if large. Mix with Tomatoes.
- Cut two 1 inch thick slices from the LEMON. Mix with
Tomatoes along with Tomato Paste.
- Chop Dill and Parsley small for Garnish. Mix.
- Lightly dust Kidneys in Flour.
- In a suitable skillet heat 1-1/2 T Oil. Fry Kidney slices
until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Scrape excess debris out of the skillet. Add 1 T Oil and fry
Onion stirring until lightly browned. Add to the Kidneys.
- In a pot or large sauce pan, bring Beef Stock to a boil. Stir
in Kidney mix, Ham mix and Bay Leaf. Bring back
to a boil and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Stir in Tomato mix, bring back to a boil and simmer another
- Season with Salt and Pepper. Be cautious with the
Salt, as some will have already come from the Olives and Ham.
- Serve hot, garnished with Dill mix. Note that some
ingredients sink to the bottom, and others float, so you have to
be careful when ladling to get a bit of everything. It becomes much
more even when reheated a day later.