Prep - (30 min - exclusive of making stock)
Run - (1-1/2 hr to 2 hrs)
- Make the STOCK if you don't already have it. If your stock
is robust like ours (see Note-1), dilute 4 cups
with two cups water. For weak stocks, use 6 cups stock.
- Chop ONIONS small. Crush GARLIC and chop small. Mix.
- Slice MUSHROOMS about 1/8 inch thick.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into about 1/2 inch dice. Hold in cold
water until needed.
- Peel CARROTS and slice crosswise about 3/8 inch thick.
- Chop DILL small.
- Squeeze LEMON JUICE. If using our Russian Vegetable Stock
you will need 2-1/2 Tablespoons.
- Chop together DILL and PARSLEY (flat leaf) for Garnish
(this garnish works really well with this soup).
- In a heavy bottomed pot, melt 2 T Butter and fry
Onion mix until translucent, but no browning.
- Stir in Stock, Carrots and Dill. Drain
Potatoes and add to the pot. Stir in Barley along with
Bay Leaves, Salt and Pepper. Bring to a boil
and simmer covered until Barley is tender, about 1 hour - more like
1-1/2 hours if using lightly pearled barley (see
- Meanwhile: In a spacious sauté pan, Melt 4 T
Butter and fry Mushrooms, stirring, until they soften
and start to give up their water. Set aside.
- When barley is tender, stir in Mushrooms and simmer another
- Stir in Lemon Juice and take off the heat.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped Dill and Parsley .