Beef Kidneys (1)
PREP - (1 hr)
RUN - (1-1/4 hrs)
- Trim away all the fat and mambranes from the underside of the
KIDNEYS. Detailed instructions are on our
Beef Kidneys page.
- Slice Kidneys into pieces about 1/4 inch thick by an inch or
so on a side. Soak in several changes of cold water while you do other
- Place Kidneys in a pot with plenty of cold water and bring to
a boil. Watch it, because it will foam up when it boils.
- Rinse Kidneys well and clean the pot. Put Kidneys back
in the pot with cold water to cover, bring to a boil. Simmer slowly for
about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Cut ONIONS in half lengthwise, peel and slice crosswise into
half or quarter rings, depending on size, about 1/8 inch thick.Crush
GARLIC and chop fine, Mix with Onion.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into bite size pieces about 3/8 inch
thick by 3/4 inch on a side. Keep in cold water until needed.
- Peel TURNIP, cut into pieces about the same size as the
Potatos. Mix with Potatoes.
- Slice CARROT diagonally about 1/8 inch thick. Mix with
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold
water, peel and chop medium.
- Peel and core CUCUMBER if needed (see Note-3)
and dice about 3/8 inch. Dice PICKLE small, Mix.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- In a 3-1/2 quart sauté pan or similar, heat Butter and
fry Onions stirring until translucent but no browning.
- Drain Potato mix and stir in along with Kidneys and
Tomatoes. Fry stirring frequently over moderate until vegetables
are soft but not at all browned, about 20 minutes. Part of the time
can be covered to speed cooking.
- Take off heat. Stir in Cucumber Mix, season to taste with
Salt and Pepper.
- Stir in Sour Cream and pour all into a coverable casserole.
Bake covered at 350°F/175°C for about 40 minutes.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with Chopped Parsley.