Chili powder (1)
Rice long grain
Olive Oil ExV
Parsley flat leaf
--- Garnish ----
Prep - (9 hrs - 15 min work)
RUN - (45 min)
- Soak CHICK PEAS 8 hours or overnight in sufficient water and
1/2 t Salt. Drain and cook them in water to cover until just
tender, about 45 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the LENTILS in water to cover until just tender, about 20
minutes, drain and mix with Chick Peas.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold
water, peel and chop small.
- Grind Cumin and add to Tomatoes with Chili Powder.
- Squeeze LEMON JUICE.
- Wash RICE thoroughly, then soak 1/2 hour in plenty of cold
water. Drain and set aside.
- Slice ONIONS thin lengthwise (so they hold together
better). Cut slices in half crosswise if large.
- Chop PARSLEY coarse.
- In a heavy sauce or sauté pan of adequate size (3 qt) heat
Olive Oil moderately. Stir in Onions, Sugar,
Salt and Pepper. Cover and cook on gentle heat until
Onions are cooked tender. Uncover, increase heat to moderatly high,
add Lemon Juice and fry stirring until the onions are medium
browned - and stop eating all the onions!
- Stir in Rice and Orzo for a couple minutes, then stir
in Chickpeas, Lentils and 1-1/2 c Broth. Simmer
tightly covered until broth is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Check Salt and liquid. Stir in Parsley and let sit
covered 5 minutes. Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves with lemon wedges.
Some might like hot sauce on the side.