Lamb shank bones
with some meat
- Heat oven to 475°F/250°C.
- Roast the SHANK BONES on a roasting pan until they are well
browned (about 1 hour).
- Place the Bones in a stock pot and pour in 3 quarts of
cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 hours skimming any fat and
foam that rises to the surface.
- Crack the Peppercorns and chop all Seasoning items
coarse. Mix all.
- When the bones have simmered for 3 hours, add the Seasonings
mix (and more water if required to cover). Simmer another hour.
- Strain through a fine strainer, retaining the liquid. Discard the
- Defat the liquid (use your gravy separator, or refrigerate and peel
off the solidified fat).
- Adjust water to make 8 cups total and bring back to a boil briefly.
Cool and refrigerate.