Chicken Giblets (1)
Chili, dry (2)
Wine Vinegar, red
Make - (1-3/4 hrs - 20 min work)
- Rinse GIBLETS. Place in a pan with water to cover well,
bring to a boil and simmer slowly for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, depending on
how tough your chickens were. Drain.
- In a small pan, heat Butter and fry Giblets over
moderate heat until very lightly browned. This is hard to see, as the
giblets are brown, so err to the light side, because the hearts will
toughen with too much frying.
- Cut or chop Giblets as desired. I usually slice hearts into
3 pieces crosswise, and dice Gizzards about 1/4 inch if I will use
them in rolls, otherwise crosswise a bit larger. Some cooks
chop both coarse.
- Make sure your WALNUTS are fresh (no rancidity). Grind in a
food processor or similar (I use a mini-prep processor) and mix into
- Crush GARLIC and chop small. Place in a mortar along with
Savory and Salt. Pound to a paste and mix into Giblets.
- Mix Vinegar and Pomegranate Seeds into Giblets and
give it some time to rest and blend flavors.
- This dish can be kept refrigerated, and will keep for several days,
but should be served cool, not chilled.
- Serving: My favorite way of dealing with these is to
set out a rectangle of Lavash (Armenian flat bread) and place some
Lettuce leaf on top, then the Giblets over the lettuce and roll it