|Make - (2 hrs - 20 min work)
- Cut SHALLOTS in half lengthwise. Cut off the tip and
peel, separating any multiple cloves. Peel any outer layers that
aren't bright and shiny. Cut lengthwise back almost to
the root end into wedges about 1/3 inch wide at the widest point.
Cut off the root ends to free the wedges.
- Soak Shallot Wedges in cold water for about 10 minutes to
reduce the harshness. Drain well and pack into a 2 cup jar.
- Mix all Pickle items. Bring to a boil and stir until all
solids are dissolved. Remove from heat for 30 seconds, then pour
into the jar with the Shallots.
- As the Shallots soften, push them down so they are completely
covered by the brine (see Note-3).
- Let cool to room temperature. When cool, cover tightly and
refrigerate. The Shallots can be used as soon as they are cool, but
will improve with an overnight rest. This pickle will keep up to 1
month in the fridge.
- Drain thoroughly before using in a sandwich.