Green Papaya (1)
Bell Pepper, red
Bell Pepper, green
Make - (1 hr - plus cooling and chilling time)
- Shred or grate the PAPAYA. I peel the thin skin off with a
swivel vegetable peeler, then use a julienning vegetable peeler to
shave it into narrow strands, right down to the seed chamber. Then
I cut the strands crosswise about 1-1/4 inches long.
- Reduce CARROTS to narrow strips. I do this exactly as for
- Reduce GINGER to narrow strips. Best to slice thin crosswise,
then cut slices into strips.
- Slice BELL PEPPERS thin into narrow strips of similar size
to those of the Papaya, but they'll be wider.
- Quarter ONION lengthwise and slice thin crosswise.
- Slice GARLIC thin.
- Tumble All the Above in a large mixing bowl, along with
- In a 5 quart non-reactive pot, mix Vinegar with
Sugar and Salt. Bring to a boil until all the Salt
and Sugar are dissolved.
- Stir in Papaya mix. Bring to a boil over high heat tumbling
often. Once at a boil, keep on a strong simmer for another 10 minutes,
tumbling fairly often. By this time the liquid should be nearly up
to the top of the vegetables.
- Set aside to cool, tumbling a couple of times.
- Pack in sterile jars and refrigerate. Actually, I pack it in a
heat sealed 2-mil food grade polyethylene bag.