Pak Bung (2)
Red Curry Paste (3)
Fish Sauce (4)
Palm Sugar (5)
Lime Juice (6)
Kaffir Lime Leaf (7)
- Cut PORK into 1/2 inch cubes.
- If your PAK BUNG is very fresh you can just break off any
stems larger than 1/4 inch and cut the whole bunch to 1 inch lengths.
If not, you'll have to pick through it stem by stem, discarding large
stems and wilted or damaged leaves.
- Open Coconut Milk without shaking the can. Spoon 3 ounces off
the top into a 2 quart sauce pan, taking all the thick milk. Stir in
the Curry Paste. Simmer slowly, stirring constantly, until the
red oil starts to separate.
- Stir in Pork until well coated with the curry, then stir in
Pak Bung, the other 5 oz Coconut Milk and the
Water. Bring to a boil and stir in the Fish Sauce and
- Squeeze LIME JUICE. Crumple LIME LEAVES to release their
flavor. Add both to the soup.
- Simmer slowly for 20 to 45 minutes (longer the better).
- Check balance and adjust if needed. Of the fish sauce, sugar and
lime juice, none should dominate. Add more of any one that seems
- Serve hot with plenty of steamed Jasmine rice. This dish is always
served with rice - you might want to pour soup in a bowl and then add
a liberal scoop of rice.