Beef, lean (1)
-- Seasoning Paste
Lemon Grass (2)
Puya Chilis (5)
Kapi Kung (6)
Soy Sauce (7)
Prik Phon Khua (8)
Kaffir Lime Leaves (9)
Prep - (20 min (exclusive of chili
flake and shrimp paste))
Seasoning Paste - (50 min)
- Make your Toasted Chili Flake (Prik
Phon Khua) and Shrimp Paste (Kapi
Kung) if you don't have them on hand.
- Trim BEEF of any excess fat. Cut across the grain about
1/4 inch thick, then into strips about 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches
long - or whatever you like or whatever works with your hunk of
- Place Beef in a pot with plenty of water to cover. Bring
to a rolling boil for about 1 minute. Dump it all out into a
clean sink. Wash the pot. Rinse the Beef and set it aside
(this is to keep your soup fairly clear).
- Slice ONION lengthwise into wedges about 1/2 inch wide.
Run - (2-3/4 hrs - 15 min work)
- Prep these items and smash to paste in a big granite mortar in
the order given here - hardest first, stickiest last - BUT, do
read Note-11 for hints on how to make it
easier. Prep LEMON GRASS per Note-2.
Peel GALANGAL and slice as thin as you can get it, then slice
into small pieces. Peel TURMERIC and slice thin.
Cut SHALLOTS in half lengthwise, then slice thin crosswise.
Crush GARLIC in your Garlic Press and chop to break up
- Break PUYA CHILIS and pour out seeds. Discard stems and
caps. Run them to small flake in your Mini-prep Food Processor or
Spice Grinder. Mix into the Paste
- Mix Kapi Kung into Paste.
- In a pot, put 8 cups of cold water. Stir in Seasoning Paste
Soy Sauce and Toasted Chili Flake Bring to a strong
- Stir in Beef and bring back to a strong simmer. Cover
tightly, turn down to a low simmer and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in Onions and continue to simmer until Beef is tender,
another 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile: Tear up Kaffir Lime Leaves (not too small)
and crush them lightly to release flavor.
- Chop Cilantro coarse, Slice Culantro thin. Slice
Scallions thin. Mix all (measures are all lightly packed
- When Beef is done: stir in Salt, Pepper and
Kaffir Lime Leaves. Simmer for a couple minutes and turn off
the heat. Allow to cool just slightly.
- When ready to serve, liberally sprinkle Herb Mix over and