Kroeung Paste (1)
---- Beef & Stock
Chilis, large dry (2)
Thai Eggplant (3)
Thai Chili (4)
Tamarind Paste (5)
Soy Sauce, light
Fish Sauce (6)
Palm Sugar (7)
Curry Leaves (8)
Prep - (3-1/2 hrs - 1 hr work)
Run - (30 min)
- Make your Kroeung Paste if
you haven't already.
- Trim BEEF of any excess fat but leave in one piece.
- Cut ONION in half lengthwise and cut thick crosswise.
Cut CARROT into chunks. Slice GINGER ROOT thin. Mix
all Stock items, including Beef. Bring to a boil and
simmer for about 2-1/2 hours.
- Set Beef aside to cool. Strain Stock and defat it
using your gravy separator. Add cold water as needed to make it up to
7 cups and set aside.
- When Beef is cool enough to handle tear about 14 ounces of
it into shreds. Keep any left for another use or just eat it.
- Soak CALIF. CHILIS in very warm water for about 1/2 hour.
Use the back side of your prep knife to scrape off the pulp. Discard the
skins and chop the pulp fine.
- Remove overly large stems from WATERCRESS and chop it
- Cut EGGPLANTS into bite size pieces and put in a bowl of
water acidulated with citric acid or lemon juice until needed.
- Prep your Tamarind Paste if it's the solid kind (soak and
- Split the THAI CHILIS lengthwise.
- Place 7 Cups Stock in a pot.
- In a skillet, heat OIL. Stir in Kroeung Paste,
Chili Pulp and Thai Chilis. Fry stirring until the
paste starts to darken slightly, then stir in Tamarind Paste
and enough Stock (from the pot) to fully suspend it all. Mix
it all up well and pour into the stock pot. Add Soy Sauce,
Fish Sauce, Watercress and Sugar (if used).
Bring it all to a boil.
- Stir in Beef Shreds and Eggplant. Season with
Salt and Pepper. Simmer 20 minutes.
- While soup is simmering Dry fry CURRY LEAVES until they
crackle. Stir them into the soup.
- Serve hot.