Winter Melon (1)
Chicken meat (2)
Red Date (3)
Scallop dry (4)
Sesame Oil dark
PREP - (35 minutes - 20 min work)
RUN - (25 min)
- Soak MUSHROOMS in a cup of warm water for about 30 minutes,
then squeeze them out, keeping soaking liquid and slice into
1/4 in squares.
- Peel WINTER MELON with a vegetable peeler, just enough to
remove the hard green. Discard seeds and stringy stuff and cut it into
1/2 in cubes (not larger).
- Cut CHICKEN into 1/2 in cubes removing any fat you can.
- Slice GINGER thin, then into narrow matchsticks. Make two
deep cuts into each RED DATE so the sweetness can get out.
- Prepare GARNISH, as many listed items as you wish to use.
Slice Scallions very thin on a diagonal. Separate
Cilantro leaves. Set out Sesame Oil (if used) so you
can dispense just a couple drops into each bowl.
- Put Mushroom soaking liquid and enough Stock to make
6 cups in a pot. Add Mushrooms, Chicken, Ginger,
and Dates, Bring to a boil and simmer covered about 10 minutes.
- Add Winter Melon and continue to simmer until melon is just
cooked through (it will become translucent and settle deeper into the
- Season to taste with Salt and Pepper.
- Ladle into serving bowels. Stir just a few drops of Sesame Oil
(if using) into each bowl and add just a little of each garnish you
are using (don't overdo it). Serve hot.