Rice Noodles (1)
Chicken meat (3)
Cilantro Root (4)
Thai Chilis (5)
Fish Sauce (5)
Prep - (25 min)
Run - (30 min)
- Put RICE STICKS in a heatproof bowl. If they are straight,
break them in half. Boil plenty of water
and pour it over the rice sticks. Let them soak about 20 minutes.
Drain. If they were a bundle, set the lump on your cutting board and
make a few cuts across it so they are of manageable length.
- Cut CHICKEN into strips about 1/8 inch thick, 1/2 inch wide
and 1 inch long.
- Pull tough outer leaves from LEMON GRASS and cut off the hard
root end. Cut the bottom 6 inches of each into two 3 inch lengths.
Crush one end of each piece with your kitchen mallet, leaving the
other end to hold the brush together.
- Slice GALANGAL thin.
- Crush GARLIC and chop fine. Chop CILANTRO ROOT fine,
chop SHALLOTS fine. Mix all and pound to a paste in a large
mortar or run in a mini-prep food processor as fine as you can get it.
- Cap CHILIS and split into shreds.
- Squeeze LIME JUICE.
- Separate CILANTRO LEAVES from the stems for garnish.
- To a Saucepan add Coconut Milk, Stock,
Lemon Grass, Galangal and Shallot mix. Bring up
to a boil uncovered (coconut milk foams over even worse than cow milk),
cover and simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Stir in Chicken and simmer another 8 to 10 minutes.
- Fish out Lemon Grass and Galangal.
- Stir in Rice Sticks, Fish Sauce and Chilis.
Take off heat and stir in Lime Juice.
- Serve hot.