Kaffir Lime leaf (2)
Chili, fresh (3)
Thai Basil leaves
Panang Curry (4)
Prep - (30 min)
Run - (10 min to 1-1/2 hr depending)
- Cut and prepare OPTION
- Beef: cut into bite size pieces about 1/4 inch thick.
Put in a pot with water to cover and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
Drain and rinse
(this is to keep the curry a nice color).
- Pork or Chicken: cut into bite size pieces
about 1/4 inch thick.
- Shrimp: Shell and de-vein. These can be left whole
if not too big. Add them in for the last 4 minutes of cooking.
- Fish: This can be cut into pieces or left whole to
be broken up at the table. It is usually fried or poached
separately and added at the last minutes. Very firm fish like
catfish can be added raw, as with Shrimp, but give it about 8
minutes of cooking.
- Potatoes: Cut into bite size chunks about 1/2 inch
thick. Hold in cold water until needed.
- Roll up LIME LEAVES and slice extremely fine, discarding central
rib, then chop fine. Cut SCALLIONS into 1 inch lengths. Slice
SHALLOTS thin. Mix all.
- Cap and seed CHILIS. Cut into narrow threads.
- Remove BASIL LEAVES from stems and set them soaking in cold
water. This will slow discoloration when added to the curry.
- In a sauté pan heat Oil over medium heat and stir in
Curry Paste until aromatic and well distributed in the oil, then
slowly stir in Coconut Milk and Stock. Use care,
coconut milk foams over just a badly as cow milk.
- Stir in Lime Leaf mix and simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in Option and simmer covered until cooked tender, adding
stock if needed to keep it quite liquid. Perhaps 1-1/4 hrs for Beef,
3/4 hr for Pork or Chicken, 20 minutes for Potatoes. For Shrimp or
cooked Fish simmer for 10 minutes, then add Fish or Shrimp and cook
4 minutes for Shrimp, 3 minutes for cooked Fish, just to warm
through, (see also Note-6).
- When Option is done, stir in Fish Sauce and Chilis.
- Sprinkle Basil Leaves over and serve hot with
plenty of steamed Jasmine rice.