Beef, Lean (1)
Eggplant, Thai (2)
Kaffir Lime leaves (3)
Chili red (3)
Thai Basil leaves
Green Curry Paste
Prep - (20 min)
Run - (50 min)
- Slice Beef about 1/8 inch across the grain and cut into strips
about 1-1/2 by 3/4 inches.
- Cut EGGPLANTS lengthwise into 6 wedges (if Thai eggplants
- see Note-2 for options). Keep eggplants in cold
water acidulated with some Citric Acid or Lemon Juice until needed.
- Roll up LIME LEAVES tightly and slice into fine threads. Chop
the threads into smaller lengths.
- Slice CHILIS into thin strips.
- Remove BASIL LEAVES from stems and start soaking in cold water
(this is so they stay green longer in the curry).
- In a wok or spacious sauté pan heat Oil over moderate
heat and stir in Curry Paste until it is well distributed and
aromatic, but no browining.
- Stir in the Beef and stir fry a few minutes until all
raw color is gone and all exuded liquid has evaporated. It needs to
be fried a bit more than chicken or pork or it will make the curry
muddy, but don't overdo the heat as there should be little browning.
See also Note-6.
- Stir in Coconut Milk, Lime Leaf, Fish Sauce and
Salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until Beef is
tender, about 35 minutes.
- Stir in Eggplant and continue to simmer until just tender but
not mushy, about 13 minutes for Thai eggplants, a bit less for
others. See also Note-7)
- When ready to serve, stir in Red Chili for just a minute, then
stir in Basil Leaves. Serve immediately with plenty of steamed