Beef Shank (1)
Long Beans (2)
Bok Choy, or (3)
Peanut Butter (5)
Toasted Rice (6)
Annatto Water (7)
Fish Sauce (8)
-- Serve With
Prep - (2-1/2 hours - 1-1/4 hrs work)
Run - (40 min)
- Trim BEEF SHANKS of any excess fat. Place in a Pot and
and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Pour into a clean skink to drain.
Rinse off crud and return to the cleaned pot. Bring to a boil and
simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Reserving the broth,
strain out the meat, de-bone it and cut into chunks about 1 inch
on a side. De-fat the broth using your gravy separator. This can
all be done a day or more ahead. You will need 3 cups of broth for
- Quarter ONION lengthwise and slice thin crosswise. Crush
GARLIC and chop small. Mix.
- Cut BOK CHOY into lengths. Start at 1/2 inch at the big
stem end, increasing to 2 inches at the leaf end. Cut
LONG BEANS into 2 inch lengths. Mix.
- If using Philippine or Chinese EGGPLANTS, quarter lengthwise
and into 1-1/2 inch lengths. Cut others to come out to a similar
size. Immediately immerse in water acidulated with citric acid or
lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Mix together all Sauce items.
- Squeeze LIME JUICE. Cut LIME WEDGES as needed.
- In a 5 quart pot, heat Oil and fry Onion mix,
stirring until onions are translucent and garlic shows a touch
- Stir in Beef and 3 cups Broth. Bring to a boil and
simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in Sauce mix, breaking up all lumps. Bring back to a
boil and simmer covered another 5 minutes.
- Drain Eggplant and stir in along with Bok Choy mix.
Bring back to a boil and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are
tender. This recipe finishes a little light on salt, because very
salty Bagoong will be added.
- Stir in Lime Juice and take off the heat.
- Serve hot with Bagoong and Lime Wedges on the side
(if a sitdown dinner), or stir in Bagoong and serve
Lime Wedges on the side (if buffet service) - see