Bitter Melon (1)
Prep - (37 min - exclusive of peeling shrimp)
Run - (45 min)
- Split BITTER MELONS lengthwise in half and scoop out the
seed mass. Slice crosswise about 1/8 inch thick. In a bowl, mix well
with salt and let sit, tumbling now and then, for at least 30 minutes,
or until needed for the recipe. Rinse and drain.
- Scald TOMATO 1 minute in boiling water. Quench in cold
water, peel and chop small.
- Slice PORK about 1/8 inch thick and cut into pieces about
1 inch on a side, or whatever works with your pork.
- Shell and de-vein SHRIMP if not already done.
- Quarter ONION lengthwise and slice thin crosswise.
Crush GARLIC and chop fine. Mix.
- Beat EGGS lightly.
- In a wok or spacious sauté pan, heat Oil over high
heat. Stir in Onion mix. Fry stirring until Onion is
translucent, then stir in Tomatoes. Continue to fry stirring
until Tomato is well softened and nearly all liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in Pork and fry stirring until it has completely
lost its raw color.
- Stir in Alamang and Pepper, then Water. Bring
to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and keep at a fast simmer
until Pork is tender, about 25 minutes. Adjust liquid if needed,
this recipe should finish with some free liquid.
- Stir in Bitter Melon and Shrimp. Simmer for about
- Push everything to one side. Pour Eggs into the empty
space (there will be liquid) and let stand until they are setting
well. Break them up into medium shards while you mix them with the
- Serve hot with steamed Jasmine rice.