Papaya, green (2)
Chili, medium (4)
Cilantro root (5)
Lemon Grass (6)
Tamarind pulp (7)
Palm Sugar (8)
Stock or Water (9)
Soy Sauce, Dark
Fish Sauce (10)
Prep - (12 min (exclusive of cleaning
Aromatics - (30 min)
- Clean and behead MACKEREL as needed. I also remove the tails
so they fit the pan and serving dish better. Wash thoroughly with
- Juice the LIME, then rub Mackerel inside and out with
Lime Juice and Salt. Rinse.
- Peel GREEN PAPAYA. Slice about 1/4 inch thick and cut into
pieces about 1 inch on a side.
Broth - (25 min - 10 min work)
- Cut grungy parts from GALANGAL and slice as thin as you can
(see our Galangal page
for how to slice it easily). Slice GINGER thick. No need to
peel either as they will be strained out. Mix and pound in a Mortar
until well bruised.
- Peel SHALLOTS and GARLIC. Cut Shallots in half
lengthwise and crush Garlic with the side of your prep knife. Cap
and core CHILIS and chop coarse. Chop CILANTRO ROOTS
Coarse. Toss them all into the Mortar and pound until moderately
- Remove hard outer layers of LEMON GRASS and crush the lower
5 inches moderately with with your kitchen mallet. Cut into 1-1/2
inch pieces and toss into the Mortar mix.
Finish - (40 min - 15 min work)
- Chop TAMARIND medium. Crush Palm Sugar Crush
Peppercorns lightly. Mix together all Broth items
in a saucepan and bring up to a simmer for 5 minutes, or until the
Tamarind has dissolved.
- Stir in the Aromatics mix and the Papaya. Bring
back to a simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
- Place Mackerels in a flame proof coverable casserole deeper
than they are high (see alternatives
Note-11). Bring to a low simmer and simmer
very slowly for about 25 minutes (15 minutes if fillets).
- Meanwhile: Prepare Garnish. Peel SHALLOTS,
cut in half lengthwise and thin crosswise. Chop CILANTRO
- Very carefully remove as much of the vegetables as you can into
a strainer with a bowl under to catch the broth. Very Carefully
lift out the Mackerels using a wide flat turner. Remove as
much debris as you can and place them in a fairly deep oval serving
platter. Squeeze Broth out of the solids and strain well.
Pour a good portion of it over the Mackerels. Keep the rest hot,
you will need it all.
- Garnish with Shallot mix and serve warm (see