Duck Legs (1)
Coconut Milk (2 cans)
Thai Chili (2)
Green Curry Paste (3)
Kaffir Lime Leaves (4)
Fish Sauce (5)
Prep - (40 min)
Run - (1-1/3 hr)
- Skin and bone DUCK LEGS removing all fat. Reserve the bones
- Cut the skins and fat into small pieces, put them in an iron
skillet and fry them slowly until lightly browned and crisp. Eat the
cracklings with a little salt and save the duck fat for cooking -
neither is used in this recipe.
- Cut Duck Meat into bite size pieces about 1/4 inch thick.
- Open Coconut Milk without shaking. Spoon the Coconut
Cream off the top of both cans until you have 2/3 cup. Keep
separate from the milk.
- Chop BASIL small and keep soaking in cold water until needed.
- Cut CHILIS into slivers. Chop CILANTRO small. Mix.
- In a spacious sauté pan heat Coconut Cream over
moderate heat. Stir until the coconut oil starts to separate from
the solids - it will get a very glossy appearance.
- Stir in Green Curry Paste and fry stirring until it is well
distributed and aromatic.
- Stir in Duck until well coated, then stir in
Coconut Milk, Lime Leaves, Salt and
Fish Sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for about 1
hour, stirring occasionally, until duck is tender. If the sauce
starts to thicken too much, cover and turn the heat down a little.
- Stir in Chili mix and simmer a few more minutes.
- Drain Basil, stir in and take off heat.
- Let sit for a couple minutes, then tilt the pan to pool the oil and
use a shallow spoon to remove the excess. Not all of it - It's duck,
it's supposed to be rich.
- Serve hot with plenty of steamed Jasmine rice.