Dried Shrimp (1)
Red Chili dry (2)
Tamarind paste (3)
Fish Sauce (4)
- Rinse SRIMP briefly in warm water and drain thoroughly.
- Chop GARLIC medium.
- Slice SHALLOTS thin.
- Stem CHILIS.
- Make TAMARIND PASTE if you aren't using concentrate.
- Find a stainless steel bowl or saucepan sufficient to hold the hot
oil and a wire strainer. Get them ready to strain ingredients out of
- Heat OIL in a sauté pan and fry Garlic until
just golden, then pour oil and garlic through the strainer. Put grlic
in a paper towel lined bowl to drain and return oil to the pan.
- Reheat oil and stir in Shallots. Fry stirring until shallots
begin to color. Strain out and add them to the Garlic.
- Reheat oil and stir in Chilis. Fry stirring until chilis
darken noticeably but are not blackened (a few black spots won't
hurt). Strain out and add them to the Garlic.
- Cool the oil quickly so some can be blended in.
- Put the fried ingredients in a mini-prep food processor or blender
along with 1/4 cup of the oil. Process, scraping down the sides,
until you have a smooth paste.
- Put the Paste in a small saucepan. Add Tamarind Sauce,
Palm Sugar and Fish Sauce. Cook slowly stirring often
until sauce darkens slightly. Cool, put up in a jar and refrigerate.
It'll keep for at least 3 months.