Thai Chili dry (2)
Dry Shrimp, small
Palm Sugar (3)
Lime Juice (4)
Fish Sauce (5)
Fish Paste (6)
Roasted Peanuts (opt)
--- Serve Over (opt)
Rice Noodles (7)
Prep - (30 min)
Run - (10 min)
- Crush PALM SUGAR as fine as you can get it and soak in
just enough hot water to wet it. Let it sit to soften.
- Crumble CHILIS and put in just enough warm water to
- Quarter CUCUMBERS lengthwise, and cut the sticks diagonally
in lengths from 3/4 to 1 inch long.
- Cut LONG BEANS into 1-1/2 inch lengths.
- Cut GRAPE TOMATOES in half crosswise. If using larger
Cherry Tomatoes, cut into quarters.
- Slice GARLIC thin crosswise.
- Cut KEY LIME in half lengthwise, then each half lengthwise
into thirds. Cut the thirds in half crosswise (12 pieces).
- Squeeze LIME JUICE and mix with Fish Sauce and
- IF Used: Crush PEANUTS coarse.
- IF Used: Soak RICE NOODLES in warm water for 20 minutes or
1 hour depending on size. Drain.
- Drain Chilis. In a Clay Mortar (see
Note-7) pound the Chilis,
Garlic and Palm Sugar until you have a sludge
with tiny flakes of Garlic and Chili.
- Stir in Lime Chunks and bruise them just enough to release
juice. Stir in Shrimp and crush them lightly.
- Stir in Long Beans and pound them gently until bruised. They
are fairly tough but don't hit them hard enough to break them apart
or flatten them.
- Stir in Cucumbers and Lime Juice mix. Pound to just
bruise the Cucumbers. Stir in Tomatoes and bruise very gently.
Stir in Peanuts if used. Let sit for awhile to blend flavors.
- IF Used: Bring plenty of water to a boil. Stir in the Rice
Noodles for just a few seconds if thin, not much longer if
thicker. Pour into a strainer and refresh with cold water.
- Put some Rice Noodles in each of individual bowls. Spoon
some salad over, with its share of the liquid. Serve cool but