-- Vegie Mix
Lemon Grass (2)
Kafir Leaves (3)
Chili flake (5)
Fish Sauce (6)
Prep Squid - (20 min - exclusive of cleaning squid)
Vegie Mix - (20 min)
(Mixing as you go).
- Clean SQUID as required (see Note-1
). Cut into 3/4 inch wide rings if small, or into 1-1/2 inch
by 1/2 inch strips if large. If using tentacles, cut them into
lengths of 1 to 1-1/2 inch lengths, depending on size.
- Bring plenty of water to a rolling boil in a pot into which you
can lower a wire strainer. Place squid in the strainer (not too much
at a time) and lower it into the rapidly boiling water for 10 seconds
(small squid) to 18 seconds (large squid). Immediately refresh with
cold running water. Don't overcook or the squid will be very tough.
Drain and set aside. I using tentacles, cook them after all the rest
Dressing - (15 min)
- Strip the tough outer leaves from LEMON GRASS and cut off the
hard root end. Smash the bottom 3 or 4 inches of the bulb with your
kitchen mallet and cut crosswise with a razor sharp knife as thin as
you possibly can.
- Roll KAFIR LEAVES as tightly as you can and slice them into
the finest threads you can. Make a few cuts through the threads so
they are not too long.
- Cut CUCUMBERS in half lengthwise. Slice diagonally about
3/16 inch thick.
- Quarter ONION lengthwise and slice thin crosswise.
- Cut GRAPE TOMATOES in half crosswise, or, if you have the
larger Cherry Tomatoes, also cut the halves in half lengthwise.
- Pull MINT LEAVES from stems and chop coarse.
Serving - (15 min)
- Peel SHALLOTS and chop fine. Crush GARLIC and chop
- Squeeze LIME JUICE and stir in Sugar.
- In a small pan, heat Oil to about 350°F/175°C.
Stir in Shallot mix and Chili Flake. Fry stirring
until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Stir in Lime Juice mix for
another 30 seconds. Take off the heat and stir in Fish Sauce.
- Shred CABBAGE fine for use as a serving bed.
- Chop CILANTRO medium for Garnish.
- When ready to serve, lay a bed of Shreded Cabbage on plates
or serving platter.
- Mix Squid with Dressing and tumble to coat well.
Tumble in Vegie mix. Lay Salad over Cabbage beds,
garnish with Cilantro (also, see Note-8).
- Serve cool, but not chilled.