Rice Papers (1)
Rice Vermicelli (2)
Mushroom dry black
Black Fungus (3)
Pickled Leeks (4)
-- Dipping Sauce
Fish Sauce (5)
Make - (2 hrs for 28 ea)
- Make your dipping sauce: Crush GARLIC and chop very fine. Chop
CHILIS fine. Mix both with Fish Sauce (see
- Boil plenty of Water, let it cool a little and pour over
Rice Vermicelli. Let it soak until soft, then drain thoroughly
(these aren't as fool-proof as bean threads).
- Boil more Water, let cool a little and pour over
MUSHROOMS and WOOD EARS. Let soak until soft, about 30
min. Squeeze out thoroughly and slice into narrow matchsticks.
- Slice PICKLED LEEKS, DILL PICKLES and BAMBOO SHOOTS
into narrow matchsticks.
- Shred CARROT fine (a julienning vegetable peeler works well
- Lay out a damp cloth napkin on which to work. Put a plate in the sink
and run warm water into it. Soak sheets of rice paper in the warm water
until pliable (see Note-6), then move to the napkin
to work. Do not over-soak You should be able to start another sheet
soaking immediately upon transferring one to the towel.
- Fill and roll the crystal rolls - see
Set rolls aside on wax paper or oiled foil to rest.
- IF using 8" round rice paper put a sausage shaped dollop of
filling near one edge. Roll the rice paper tightly over filling until
half the circle is still flat, then fold the sides over the filling.
Continue to roll up tightly.
- IF using "quadrant" rice papers (quarters of a 12" round),
soak two at a time. Lay one out on the napkin then the other the
same way but overlapping 3/4" farther up. Put a dab of filling near the
curved edge, roll once, fold the edges in and finish rolling.
- Arrange on a platter with desired garnishes and serve warm with
individual bowls of Dipping Sauce. If you wish (particularly
for parties) you can cut the rolls in half diagonally to make twice as
many smaller pieces.