Red Curry Paste (2)
Long Beans (3)
Kaffir Lime Leaf (4)
Oil for Frying
-- Serve with
Cuke Sauce (5)
- First catch your FEATHERBACK FISH (see Note-1)
and scrape it for paste.
- Make the CUCUMBER SAUCE (see Note-5).
- Very thoroughly mush together the Fish Paste, Egg
and Red Curry Paste until completely blended, uniform and
very sticky. Mush it with your hands (which can take a while) or use
a stand mixer with paddle blade (see Note-8).
- Roll up KAFFIR LEAVES very tight and slice into fine threads.
Discard the stems and cut the threads into shorter pieces. Cut the
LONG BEANS thin crosswise. Work both into the fish paste until
- In a kadhai, wok or deep skillet heat Oil for deep frying to
350°F/175°C. (see Note-6).
- With very wet hands form a few small pancakes from the fish paste,
about 3/8 inch thick and about 2 inches across (see
- Slide them a few at a time into the oil and fry turning several times
until lightly browned. They are done when they float high, the oil
starts sizzle more, and they are very elastic when tapped. Scoop them
out and drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with plenty of Cucumber Sauce.
I find cutting them into slices for serving works quite well too (see