(click to enlarge)
Russia - Gribnoi Sous
This is a sauce used over mashed potatoes, Russian style hamburgers,
and many other dishes. What mushrooms they use in Russia I don't know,
and they wouldn't be available here anyway, so we're going to use Chinese
dried black mushrooms. I presume the Russians have them too.
Black Mushrooms (1)
Make - (1 hr)
- Soak MUSHROOMS in warm water for about an hour. Drain and squeeze
out, reserving the soaking liquid.
- Chop Mushrooms fine. Dice them with a knife, then finish in a
mini-prep food processor or similar.
- Chop SCALLIONS fine and mix with mushrooms.
- In a sauce pan melt 1 T Butter and stir in Flour. Fry
stirring over gentle heat until the flour has lost its raw taste and starts
to color about one shade, then stir in Soaking Liquid starting with
just a little at a time until you have a smooth (though very thin) sauce.
- Simmer the Sauce down to a little more than 1 cup. It should
still be very thin as it has to coat all those mushroom bits.
- In a skillet melt 3 T Butter and stir in Scallions and
Mushrooms. Fry stirring over moderate flame for about 8 minutes.
- Stir Mushroom mix into Sauce along with Salt
- Check liquidity and correct with boiling water if needed. Check
seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Dried Mushrooms: Black mushrooms are
available in just about any market stocking Asian supplies. They are
actually dried Shiitakes. For details see our
- U.S. measure: t=teaspoon,
T=Tablespoon, c=cup, qt=quart, oz=ounce,
#=pound, cl=clove, in=inch
pjv_mshmdry1 111016 alr181 - www.clovegarden.com
©Andrew Grygus - email@example.com - Linking to and
non-commercial use of this page is permitted.