Lamb Shanks (1)
Mint Leaves (2)
- Cut meat from LAMB SHANKS and cut it into bite size cubes.
Roast the bones and use to make stock.
- Chop ONIONS fine. In a skillet or sauté pan heat 1-1/2 T
Oil and fry onions stirring until translucent. Let cool some.
- Crush GARLIC and chop fine.
- Mix together Lamb Shanks, Fried Onion, Garlic,
Saffron (if used), Salt and Pepper. Let marinade
an hour and a half on the counter or several hours in the refrigerator.
- Put Lamb Mix in a non-reactive pot. Add Wine and enough
Water so the meat is just covered. Bring to a boil and simmer
covered for about 30 minutes.
- Trim CELERY, keeping the leaves separate, and cut the stalks
into 1 inch lengths. In a skillet or sauté pan heat 1 T
Oil and fry celery stirring until barely tender. Set aside.
- Chop together MINT, PARSLEY and reserved Celery
- Squeeze LEMON JUICE
- When lamb shanks have had their 30 minutes and are tender, remove
fat (see Note-3).
- Bring back to a boil. Cook uncovered until sauce is about the amount and
consistency you want.
- Stir in Celery and Mint Mix. Simmer for a few minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in Lemon Juice, bring back almost
to a boil and check Salt to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with Parsley Leaves, and along with plenty
of Basmati rice.