Lamb Tripe (1)
Four Spice (3)
- Soak TRIPE in cold water for a couple of hours (if you have time).
- Put Tripe in a pot with plenty of cold water and bring to a
boil for 20 minutes. Drain, cool and cut into strips about 1/2 inch wide
and 2 inches long.
- Peel TOMATOES and chop medium.
- Chop ONIONS small. Crush GARLIC and chop fine. Chop
Chilis fine. Mix.
- In a heavy bottomed pot heat Oil and fry Onion mix until
- Stir in Tomatoes. Add 2 cups of water, bring to a boil and
simmer for about 20 minutes. Purée using a food mill, a food
processor, or by pressing through a strainer.
- Return purée to the pot along with the Tripe and 2 cups
more Water. Bring to
a boil and simmer until Tripe reaches the desired consistency. Algerians
like their tripe cooked almost to jelly which takes well over 4 hours
but the soup starts being edible at around 3-1/2 hours.
- With about 2-1/2 hours to go, stir in Caraway seeds.
If Chickpeas are unsoaked and uncooked 1/2 cup should go in now
along with 1-1/4 cup more water.
- With about 1/2 hour to go, stir in Paprika and Four Spice.
If Chickpeas are thoroughly soaked, they should go in now.
- With 15 minutes to go, check salt and check liquid for consistency
you want. If Chickpeas were from a can they should go in now.
- At serving time you can garnish with fresh herbs, just stir them in or
provide them in a bowl for diners to apply themselves. Chopped parsley
and/or coriander leaves are favorites.