Fish Fillets (1)
Olive Oil (2)
Prep - (15 min)
Run - (70 min)
- Cut FILLETS into convenient chunks, maybe 1-1/2 inches on
- Cut ONIONS in quarters lengthwise and slice thin crosswise.
Slice as uniformly as possible for even browning.
- Wash Rice and drain. Set aside.
- Grind Cumin.
- Squeeze Lemon Juice
- Chop PARSLEY for garnish.
- In a spacious sauté pan (3-1/2 qt is good) heat Oil
and fry Onions stirring until dark brown. Use care - there
must be no burning - which would make them bitter.
- Remove the Onions and drain, retaining all the oil in
the sauté pan.
- Place the Onions in a large sauce pan with 4 cups
Water. Bring to a boil and simmer until Onions are very
soft, about 10 minutes.
- While this is going on, the sauté pan with the oil is
idle, so use it to fry the Pine Nuts, stirring until they
are very lightly browned - careful, they are easily ruined. Drain
them, keeping all the oil in the pan.
- Strain out Onions, retaining the liquid. Purée
Onions and return to the pan with the liquid.
- Place Fish in the pan, along with Salt. Bring to a boil,
then simmer slowly until just done. For Tilapia this could be as
little as 5 minutes.
- Strain out the Fish and keep warm.
- Heat up the sauté pan again and pour in the Rice.
Fry stirring for a couple minutes. Stir in Cumin and 2-1/2
cups of the Broth. Bring just to a boil, cover tightly and
simmer over very low heat for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let
the rice rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take broth remaining in the sauce pan and simmer down
to a little less than 1 cup. Turn off the heat and stir in
Lemon Juice to make a Sauce.
- Gently stir Fish into Rice. Place in your serving
platter and drizzle Sauce over it.
- Garnish with Pine Nuts and Parsley. Serve warm.