Taro Roots (1)
Soup Soy Sauce (2)
Perilla Seed Powder (3)
Prep - (45 min - 25 min work)
Run - (45 min)
- Boil plenty of Water. Stir in TARO ROOTS and
boil for 5 minutes. Drain and quench in cold water.
- Peel Taro. This is not so easy because the hairy skin will
clog the peeler, and the taro gets real slippery as you peel it. Cut
into bite size pieces. Set aside
- Slice BEEF across the grain about 1/4 inch thick and cut
into squares about 5/8 inch on a side.
- Crush GARLIC and chop fine.
- Slice SCALLIONS diagonally into 1/4 inch long pieces.
- In a saucepan, bring 5 cups Water to a boil. Stir in
Beef. Bring back to a boil and skim off the scum that
surfaces. Stir in Garlic and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Stir in Taro, Soy Sauce and Salt. Bring
back to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour Perilla Powder into a very fine strainer and lower
it into the soup (the strainer works as a dispersal tool). Swish it
around with a wooden spoon for a minute, then lift it out, pressing
the remaining powder through the strainer.
- Stir in Scallion, simmer 1 minute more and take off
- Serve hot with rice (medium grain), and maybe a banchan (tiny
side dish) or two.