Rice Wine (1)
Red Chili (2)
Oil (deep fry) (3)
Malt Syrup (4)
Sesame Oil dark
Prep - (30 min + 2 to 3 hrs marinade)
Run - (25 min)
- Slice PORK about 1/2 inch thick, and cut into strips
about 1/2 inch wide and 1-1/2 inches long, or whatever size works
with your piece of pork (but not too small).
- Grate GINGER on the "nail hole" side of your grater, and
wring out the juice in a square of muslin or similar.
- Mix all Marinade items. Massage into Pork and set
aside to marinate for 2 hrs at room temperature, at least 3 hours
in the fridge, turning a couple times.
- Cut SCALLION into about 1-1/2 inch lengths, white and green.
- Slice GARLIC thin. Cap and core CHILIS, and slice into
narrow strips. Mix.
- Mix Soy Sauce, Malt Liquid and Black Pepper.
- Remove Pork from the marinade, drain briefly.
- In a wok or suitable pan, heat Oil for deep fry very hot.
Doing batches of 5 to 7 pieces (depending on how much oil you have
heated), lightly dust each piece of pork in Cornstarch, then
fry in the hot oil for about 1 minute. There should be no more than
a trace of browning. Remove and drain on paper towels (the outside
will be quite stiff now). You can pause for clean-up here.
- In a wok or spacious sauté pan, heat 1-1/2 T of oil over
moderate heat. Stir in the Garlic mix for about 1 minute,
then stir in Pork. Fry stirring another 4 minutes.
- Stir in Scallions and Soy Sauce mix. Fry stirring
1 minute more.
- Sprinkle Sesame Oil over and transfer to a serving dish.
Serve hot with plenty of steamed rice (medium grain).