Spare Ribs (1)
Black Mushroom (2)
Daikon, small (4)
- Separate SPARE RIBS and cut into lengths no more than 2
inches. Put them in a pot, cover with plenty of water and bring to
a rolling boil for about 2 minutes. Pour it all out into the sink.
Wash the pot and rinse the ribs, returning them to the pot.
- Soak the MUSHROOMS in warm water for about 1/2 hour. Stem
and quarter them and set aside.
- Soak KONBU for about 1/2 hour. Cut into strips about 1/2
inch by 2 inches and set aside.
- Cut MUSTARD GREENS into strips about 1/2 by 2 inches,
discarding stems. Parboil briefly, refresh with cold water, drain
and set aside.
- Crush GINGER but keep it in one or two pieces to make removal
- Peel DAIKONS and cut into sticks about 1/2 inch square and
1-1/2 inches long.
- Dissolve 1 t Dashi in 2 cups of warm water.
- Put Spare Ribs, Mushrooms and Ginger in a soup
pot with 4 c Water. Bring to a boil and skim any foam that
rises to the top. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add Daikon and Konbu and simmer another 15 minutes or
so until daikon is tender.
- When ready to serve, stir in Dashi Stock, Salt and
Soy Sauce, bring to a boil and turn off heat.
- Serve in individual bowls, a few ribs, some konbu,
daikon and mushrooms, and a few strips of mustard greens.